I’ve had a bit of writer’s block lately.
With lots more time on my hands now that the boys are in school, I find there’s a lot more I want/need to get done. Really, there are the same amount of things, I just now feel like I don’t have any excuses when they don’t happen. Like dinner. Or laundry. Or a clean house.
Then, I don’t even know where to start.
When I’m writing, I feel like I should be doing laundry. When I’m cleaning, I feel like I should be writing. When I’m sitting on the couch watching The Chew, I feel like I should be doing anything else.
I’m just a little overwhelmed, and then feel guilty about that.
But, then I remember that it is a big change for me. I’ve given my boys time to adjust to their new schedule, so I need to do the same thing for myself. I need to find my groove and new routine.
So, with all the chaos in my head, there’s not much room for creativity. Instead of letting that stop me, I decided to take a new approach.
Writer’s Block Buster
I find that when I can’t come up with a brilliant idea of my own, I do some research. I read other blogs, browse Pinterest, and scroll through Facebook.
As I was reading through some of my favorite blogs the other morning, I came across this post from Beth at The Beth Next Door. She had been tagged by a fellow blogger to name some of her favorite things.
This was perfect.
A little bit of structure. Plus, I enjoy learning new things about the writers behind blogs, so I thought you might enjoy learning a little about me too.
It’s a collection of 5 Favorite things across various categories. Some of them were pretty easy, while others were hard to narrow down to just 5. So, I didn’t. Is that cheating? Oh well.
It helped me beat my writer’s block today, and also gave me some ideas for the future. Win. Win.
5 Favorite Things to Do:
- Dance (Ballet is my favorite, followed by Modern at a close second. Dancing in the living room is also the best.)
- Nap (I’m not very good at sleeping at night, but I can nap like a champ.)
- Shop (Online or in Stores, but NEVER at full price!)
- Play Spider Solitaire while watching TV (I can’t sit still and do just ONE thing at a time.)
Bonus: Sing. Only in the shower or the car. And at the top of my lungs.
5 Favorite Movies (I’m going with ones I can watch over and over and still enjoy):
- Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael
- That Thing Called Love
- Pan’s Labyrinth (My husband took me to this on one of our first dates. He had no idea it was subtitled.)
- What’s Eating Gilbert Grape
Bonus: The movie I can watch over and over with my kids is Judy Moody and The Not Bummer Summer. Super cute.
5 Favorite TV Shows
- The Flash (It’s a super good show, but my favorite part is that me and Mr. B both love it and watch it together.)
- You’re the Worst
- Jane the Virgin
- The Man in the High Castle
Bonus: Any cheesy, crazy, drama filled reality show. See: Bachelor in Paradise, Real Housewives of Orange County/New York, The Challenge
5 Favorite Songs of the Moment
- Acid Tongue by Jenny Lewis (Honestly, all of her songs are my favorite. She is a phenomenal singer/songwriter.)
- Bar Lights by Whiskeytown
- You Don’t Know Me by Ben Folds featuring Regina Spektor
- Beneath Your Beautiful by Labrinth featuring Emeli Sande’
- Feel It Still by Portigal. The Man.
5 Favorite Blogs to Read
Bonus: Since I already mentioned her at the top, I figured you knew it was a favorite. Just in case, check out The Beth Next Door HERE
5 Things I’m Looking Forward to in the next year
- The boys not being hungry/cranky/tired when they come home from school. It will happen eventually, even if it’s the last month of school.
- Getting into my own groove and enjoying my time at home.
- Having beautiful weather for our 5th year as a team Marching for Babies. (I know I can’t control the weather, but we’re due for a nice day. It’s been 4 years of cold and rain.)
- Dancing on stage, and watching my students dance on stage in their Showcase.
- Some type of family vacation, girl’s trip, or both. I’m voting for both.
5 Personal Facts About Me
- I’m always changing my hair. Long, short. Dark, light. Straight, curly. What should I do next?
- I thought I would love pregnancy (eating whatever you want and getting to be fat!) but I hated it. I was super sick for both pregnancies, plus got chronic UTI’s that landed me in the hospital with my first. My second was filled with complications, as you know. I DO love my boys, though.
- I LOVE shopping, but hated shopping for my wedding dress. So much so, I answered an ad, and ended up getting my dress on the Rachel Ray Show. A story for another post.
- I HATE roller coasters, and would never, ever sky dive. Even flying in a plane has been scary for me recently.
- I never had a cavity until I got pregnant. Since, I’ve had many, plus a root canal. Not fun. See what I mean about pregnancy?!
5 Best Memories
- Dancing on stage with the Milwaukee Ballet in the Nutcracker
- Making the Pom Pom/Dance squad my Freshman Year
- My surprise engagement in New Orleans and my wedding in Lake Geneva.
- Holding Mr. B after he was born.
- Hearing that both twins were alive after waking up from the anesthesia during my emergency c-section.
Bonus: The Day Little P came home and we were all finally under the same roof.
Ah. That felt good to do fight off that writer’s block. Although, it took me much longer than I expected. It’s hard to choose what to share. Maybe I’ll have to do another one of these sometime!