Summer Bucket List
With only one more day of school left for Mr. B, it’s time to figure out some fun things to do this summer. The boys are all signed up for a summer school program, Mr. B is playing baseball, and I’m teaching a 6-week summer session, but I know I’ll still be hearing “I’m bored!” or “What are we doing today?” and especially the “Mom, I need you to entertain me. NOW!” if I don’t have an arsenal of activities in my back pocket. So, it’s time to make our Summer Bucket List!
For me, our summer bucket list is different from the monthly goals I set for our family. It’s all about stuff we want to do, instead of stuff we need to do. If something on the list turns out to be not so fun, or if no one really wants to do it, it’s totally OK. If we don’t get through half of the list, but we still have a great summer, totally OK too. It’s basically ideas that I can fall back on when the novelty of playing in the sprinkler, running with the neighborhood pack, or climbing on the swing set wears off.
You can take a look back at past bucket lists HERE and HERE.
I’ve come up with very strict criteria for what can be included on our summer bucket list:
- Must be FUN for all members of the family
- Must include access to an actual bathroom for Mom (ie. NOT a porta potty, pit toilet, or bush)
- Must be SAFE for the whole family (example: Swimming must include at least 2 adults, since I can’t safely watch all three boys without massive amounts of stress)
- Must NOT be STRESSFUL for MOM
- Must be approved by MOM
- At least some items must involve getting active (need to wear those boys out and keep mom in shape if she can’t get to the gym!)
That should work. Now, on to the fun!
- Discover and play at new parks starting with a Park Hop Day (spend about 15 minutes at each, and then move to the next!)
- Take a family bike ride at least once a week
- Visit a Splash Pad
- Picnic at the Zoo
- Go to Bay Beach Amusement Park
- Take a trip to Little America Amusement Park
- Visit our State Capital, Madison
- Go to a Church Festival
- Attend one of the many other festivals our city has (Bastille Days, Festa, German Fest, Summerfest, Kidsfest, etc.)
- Go to one of the traveling beer gardens (beer for the adults, playgrounds for the kids. Win. Win.)
- Sign up for the Summer Reading Program at our Local Library
- Have a campfire and make S’mores
- Go to a few of the Kid Series Movies (only $3!)
- Cookout a few times a month
- Have a board game day when it rains
- Have an arts, crafts, and dance day or two
What’s on your Summer Bucket List?
What other ideas do you have for me and our family? Do you write out a summer bucket list?
Please leave me any fun ideas below.
I hope your summer is off to a fantastic start!
Awww, what a fun summer bucket list! I hope you have a great time 🙂 I can’t even imagine how stressful it would be to watch three boys swim as the only adult, so yes to activities where mommy can enjoy herself, too!
Beth Kondrick says
YES! I have a bucket list too that I think you saw. I love the idea of hitting up a church festival – the church we regularly attend doesn’t have their festival until Sept, but others may and there’s no reason we can’t go. And a traveling beer garden sounds amazing, I think we need that here in MN!
I break up monthly goals and seasonal bucket lists too, for the same reason! Aw man, I used to love the library summer reading program when I was a kid- that’s a good one! I have never heard of a traveling beer garden but that sounds awesome! Festivals, a trip to the zoo and s’mores are all on my list too!
Cole Nemeth says
Cute summer bucket list! I created a summer bucket list and shared it on my blog, too!
I do have a summer bucket list! I love making them – even if I don’t quite hit everything on the list. It’s fun to try and it gives me different things to do. I really like your list! A couple of mine are picnic in the park and swimming at night. 🙂
Shann Eva says
Swimming at night is a great one!
These all sound like amazing ideas to do over the summer!!! I am hoping to be able to find some fun festivals to attend this summer here in TX. I have not played any board games in forever!!!
Silvia Marquez says
Omg the traveling beer garden sounds so fun! I just want to go to the beach! Preferably Mexico 🙂
Lindsay @ The Flynnigans says
I can’t wait to see some of these plans come to fruition (i.e. Pics). 🙂