Preparations for the Whole30 are done. Well, actually shopping was done in two days, planning was done yesterday, and food preparation was done last night. Today, is the big day! All real food all the time!
As I mentioned previously, this is going to be a challenge for me, but I’m up for it. I’ve read the book a couple of times (well, specific parts a lot of times,) and I think I’ve made a pretty good plan.
But, I’m going to be real honest, it was hard doing the preparations for me. I’m not a meal planner, not a great cook, and not that great with raw meat. But, I’m going to be sharing the whole journey with you…the good, the bad, and the messy.
Yesterday and last night, I said goodbye to my beloved favorite foods and drinks. Every time I ate something, I kept thinking, “This will be the last time I have you for 30 days…or maybe FOREVER.”
Goodbye to my beloved whipped berry cream cheese, my tea sweetened with Truvia and Cashew Milk, my dark chocolate almond squares, and my Zone Perfect Bars. Goodbye to my air popped popcorn, my steel-cut oats, and my yogurt.
I will miss you all, but I hope to replace you with foods that make me feel better, and that are better for me.
Oh! And goodbye my Red wine!
What I did
So, what did I prepare ahead of time? And buy? Here’s what I’ve got to make it through the first week.
- Fruits – Apples, oranges, bananas, plantains, lemons, tomatoes
- Vegetables – Fresh Sweet potatoes, Yellow squash, Zucchini Squash, Cucumber, Spinach, Romaine Lettuce, Onion, Limes, Avocados, and Frozen Broccoli, Cauliflower, Artichoke hearts
- Spices and herbs – Basil, Cilantro, Mustard seed, red pepper flakes, coconut aminos, garlic, yellow mustard
- Nuts – Pecans, Almonds,
- Fats – Sunflower seed butter, Coconut oil, Coconut Milk (in cans,) Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Avocado Oil, Red Wine Vinegar, Apple Cider Vinegar, Ghee
- Meats – Ground beef, Chicken cutlets, Steak strips, pork slices, eggs, canned tuna
- Hard boiled 10 eggs
- Made a jar of salsa with 6 Campari tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, 2 garlic cloves, and onion
- Made Pesto sauce with Pecans, Basil, Spinach, lemon juice, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and 3 cloves of garlic. I then poured it in an ice cube tray for individual serving sizes, as directed in book.
- Washed the rest of my avocados, a few lemons, limes, and oranges (I like to wash before I peel them.)
I also took some before pictures and weighed myself for the last time in 30 days. That’s really not going to be too hard to stick to, since I normally just go by how my clothes are fitting anyways.
I have an outline of my meals, but again, I’m going to be honest. I might not stick to it, depending on what I’m in the mood for. I have plenty of choices, so I’m not worried yet. I’ll let you know my exact meals, and how I felt next Thursday, so I hope you’ll come back.
Otherwise, you can follow my daily progress in my Facebook Group. And I may even share my before pictures and weight there. Maybe.
Also, if you’re interested in purchasing either book I’ve been reading, you can purchase through my Amazon Affiliate link. No extra charge to you, and a few cents to me. I haven’t been sponsored or asked to do this challenge, it’s just something I wanted to do for my health.
Have you done the Whole30? Or thought about it? Have you tried another healthy eating plan?