This summer I feel like I’ve lost my way a bit. I’ve been tired, stressed, and can’t seem to find the motivation to get anything done until the last minute. Our schedule has been all over the place, and I really feel like I need to get back on track.
I’m just not good without a solid routine.
First, I’ve had a pretty good case of writer’s block, if you hadn’t guessed by the lack of posts lately. I just can’t seem to find the right words or the right inspiration. It’s taken me all day to get this far on this post.
Then, there are the boys. They’ve had a lot of different activities, and I keep finding something new to worry about with each one.
Plus, Mr. P’s health issues have really taken a toll on me. I know I’m not the one actually going through anything, but it’s been making me relive my pregnancy and time in the NICU.
So, when I get stressed and extra anxious, I tend to revert to old habits. I eat junk food, don’t get enough sleep, and generally let my own health fall by the wayside.
I really felt it last week when I missed going to the gym until the very end of the week. My anxiety was getting the best of me.
Get Out of Your Own Way
I realized I had to make my own mental health a priority. I was making excuses, and was letting my own insecurities stop me.
So, I got out of my head and into the gym. It’s amazing how a little physical movement can have such a great effect on my psyche.
I really had to push myself to get there, just like I’m pushing myself to write this post right now. It may not have been the best workout, and this may not be the best post, but every little bit helps me to get back to feeling like myself.
Which leads me to checking in on my monthly goals. Even though it is the 7th of the month, and I was just going to skip it, I knew I need to push myself again. It’s just one more step to getting out of my own way and back on track.
- Get those lights! No.
Get the basement organized.YES!!! We got rid of a ton of junk, brought toys down from bedrooms, and organized one of the basement rooms into a playroom. Now to go through all the totes of old clothes…
Start planning our road trip.YES! Hotel and rental car are reserved. I also got some great activity ideas from a friend that went to the same destination last year. Have you guessed where we are going yet??? Our past trips are here, here, and here.
Add boys to Gym membership.Yes! We’ve been swimming quite a few times, I’ve used their childcare, and the boys took some swimming lessons. Get through appointments.YES! We made it through the eye doctor for both boys, and Mr. P did a fantastic job with his MRI and X-ray. He has one more appointment with the Urologist, and then we go back for a follow-up with Neurosurgery to go over all the results. All of the vibes, prayers, and good thoughts were definitely felt and appreciated. If you wouldn’t mind sending some more over for those results, we would be so thankful.
Celebrate the 4thYES! We watched the parade, had a bbq, and saw some fireworks with friends. Finish out Summer SchoolYES! All three boys did great this summer. Take Swim LessonsYES! The boys did a couple 3 on 1 private lessons at the gym. They learned so much! Mr. B can actually do the front crawl and tread water now. Do Fun Family ActivitiesYes! We hit Summerfest, Bastille Days, and State Fair. We also went to a pool party, church festival, a couple of movies, and out to dinner a few times.
Have a great start to the 6 week dance program.Yes! We’re actually in week 5 of our 6 week program. All of my classes have been wonderful this summer. A great bunch of sweet, well-behaved dancers.
- Publish at least 3 new posts this month. No. I’ve been stressed, sleep-deprived, and dealing with writer’s block. I only wrote one new post this month. You can read it here. Since most of our medical appointments are over and the boys are in summer camp this week, I’m hoping to get some inspiration and motivation.
- Write 2 posts for MKE Moms Blog. No. See above.
Even though July may look like a great month on paper, there definitely was the struggle behind the scenes. Many of the things I accomplished were very last minute, and required a lot more effort than they should have.
But, they are done, and it’s a new month. Time to wipe the slate clean and really get back on track.
- Laundry I have resigned myself to the fact that their will always be a pile of laundry, but it has gotten out of control. I need to purge some clothing from each family member. Then, stay on top of doing and putting away the clothes.
- Clean out Closets for the Season As summer is ending, I have a lot to get rid of in the twins’ closet. Their summer wardrobe consisted of shorts from last year’s clearance, so many are now too small. They also have way too many t-shirts they’ve outgrown.
- More Water
- No eating after 8pm
- Get more active I haven’t been using my Fitbit consistently, so I need to get back on track with that too
- Enjoy our Road trip Itinerary is almost set. Now, to get the snacks, car entertainment, and enjoy the actual trip.
- Enjoy the end of Summer We’ll still have some time before school starts when we get back from our trip to squeeze in the last bits of summer vacation.
- Publish at least 3 new posts this month
- Finish out the 6 week summer dance program
- Write 2 posts for MKE Moms Blog
So, even though I may not completely feel ready, I’m going to do my best in August. Now, time to hit publish.