30 Pounds Down
I lost 30 pounds!
If you’ve been reading the blog, you know that I started on my healthy eating and exercise plan back in May. That means I’m on month 5!!! I wanted to lose weight, feel better, improve my health, and get in better shape. The plan is working!
I’ve officially lost 30 pounds (even after eating and with all my clothes on the scale tonight,) and I am down almost 4 sizes in my pants. So, where do I go from here? How do I maintain a 30 pound weight loss and keep the momentum going?
First, I want to let you know that the biggest part of losing the 30 pounds for me was changing my eating habits. I never paid attention to what I ate or when I ate it. Of course, I knew fast food and desserts weren’t helping me, but they were convenient and tasted good. I also ate for comfort, as a reward, and when I was stressed. Not just when I was hungry.
Now, I eat 5 meals a day, and that’s it. I don’t really snack, and I don’t eat dessert (except that birthday cake, which was still pretty darn good.) This averages to around 1300 to 1400 calories a day. I’m not starving all the time…anymore. It was an adjustment in the beginning for sure.
My average day:
- Breakfast around 8:30 am – Steel Cut Oats with Cranberries and Blueberries by Quaker. I make it with water in the microwave, so it’s easy, it tastes fantastic (better than regular oatmeal,) and it’s only 170 calories.
- Meal on the go at 10:30 or 11 am – A protein bar. I like the Zone Perfect or the Simply Zone Bars in any chocolate variety. I stick to ones that are 190 calories or less, and usually have some kind of nuts in them, like almonds or cashews.
- Lunch around 1 pm – Egg whites on a whole grain or multi-grain with flax seeds 100 calorie Sandwich thin, and slice of low-fat cheese, which is 60 calories.Toasting makes it crispy and yummy. I also eat carrots, and sometimes an apple. I may have some popcorn or a serving of Special K or Pop Chips.
- Meal at 3:30 or 4 pm – If I’m on the go, I sometimes have another protein bar or bring a protein smoothie, made with Almond milk, protein powder, and peanut butter powder. Sometimes I have celery with peanut butter powder (you just mix water and it saves you about 100 calories when compared to regular peanut butter,) and some popcorn or a Greek yogurt.
- Dinner at 6 or 6:30 pm – If I’m tired, I will sometimes have a Lean Cuisine or Weight Watchers frozen dinner. The Chicken Parmesan is amazing. Otherwise, I eat what my family is having, but in smaller portions. Grilled chicken with vegetables, salads, sandwiches, Eggplant Parmesan with Veggie Spaghetti, Turkey or Veggie Burgers on a half of bun, or homemade pizza on whole wheat crust.
I am not getting compensated or sponsored by any of these brands or products. These are the actual things I use. I have included my affiliate links, in case you want to try something. It is no charge to you, and I may make a small commission. Simply click on the picture below, and it will take you to the page where you can buy it.
While my menu might seem boring, it is something that works for me. The protein bars still give me the feeling of eating dessert, and I still need convenience at times with the kids. I will continue to try to add more and more healthy items as time goes on, and hopefully be able to eliminate a lot of the processed food. It’s still a journey.
I also still struggle with drinking more water during the day, but I do drink a lot of iced tea.
The second part of my plan to keep the 30 pounds off, is the fitness component. As I told you last week, as a family, we joined a gym. This has really given me the fitness boost I needed. Now, I am able to workout during the day, instead of waiting until my husband gets home. I also have been changing up my workouts by trying a whole bunch of different classes.
So far, I’ve tried:
- Raise the Bar– This is a class that included weights, push ups, sit ups, and strength exercises for the arms and legs. I used light weights for my first class, and bumped it up a little for my second class.
- Zumba – This is a funky version of aerobics. There are lots of dance moves combined with aerobic moves. The first class I’m sure I looked really silly, and even the second class today was a challenge following all the moves….BUT, it was a lot of fun and went by really fast. Plus, I was super sweaty when I got done. I also kept moving through the whole class, so I got a good cardio workout.
- Barre Fitness – This is a class that combines Pilates mat work, Ballet barre work, along with weights, and a fitness band. It’s also a strength and stretching class, not really cardio.
I still want to try another cardio-type class, and maybe even the step-aerobics class. I’ve also used the elliptical machine and stationary bike.
My goal is to get to the gym at least 4 times a week. Since we’ve signed up last Tuesday, I’ve been there 6 times. Hooray!
The bonus of going to the gym is that not only do I get a workout, but the twins get some time to socialize with other kids and new toys to play with…which they love. Once we hit the childcare room, they don’t even give me a second look.
So, I am about falling asleep as I type this, which means it’s time to call it a post. If you have any questions for me, or if you need support, please leave me a comment. I’d be happy to help in any way that I can.
30 pounds is the most weight I’ve ever lost at one time, and I’m determined to keep it off for good. I’m finally feeling good about myself and feeling healthier too.
Do you struggle with weight loss? Is there a way I can support you in a healthier lifestyle?