Hello friends! Let’s Catch up with some Life Updates!
It’s been entirely too long since I’ve written a blog post. It’s been a combination of writer’s block, lack of motivation, and day-to-day duties. Why is there always a pile of laundry? Why do my kids always need snacks? Who stole all the matching socks?
Anyways, I thought I would ease myself back into writing by sharing some life updates with you.
First things first….
The Last 90 Days
Remember when I decided that instead of monthly goals, I would work on some things during the last 90 days of the year? Yeah, me neither.
So, here’s the goals and what happened. (HInt….not much!)
Keep our Family Calendar up-to-date– This I actually did. Except for the one random day off school that I forgot about!
- Visit a Pumpkin Patch – NOPE
Decorate for Fall –Yes! I got the boys some baby pumpkins, since we failed visiting a pumpkin patch. Then, I put up tons of command strips/hooks, and we dug the containers out of the basement. Go Trick-or-TreatingLuckily, we went in my parent’s neighborhood the weekend before Halloween. When it was our neighborhood’s turn, we had a snow storm and it got cancelled. They did have a make-up date, but it was freezing, so we didn’t stay out too long. Have a fun school Halloween Party– Yes! Toilet paper mummy game for the win!
- Eat more veggies and fruits – Ugh.
Celebrate Mr. B’s BirthdayYes! Bowling party with friends, and dinner/movie with the family.
- Celebrate our wedding anniversary No. It fell in the middle of the week, so we promised we’d go out another weekend…which has yet to happen. Although, we did get to attend the Signature Chef’s Auction for the March of Dimes!
- Drink more water More than nothing? Yes. I need to set a more concrete goal to get this on track.
- No eating after 8pm I’d have a few days of success, then the snack monster reappeared.
Schedule my mammogramI’m embarrassed to say I just did this last week, but at least it IS scheduled.
- Keep working hard at the gym I have been going to the gym, but my workouts have not been so great.
- Send in more clothes to ThredUp I did order a few bags, but they have been sitting on the floor of our room.
- Write more blog posts You know the answer to this one. However, I have still been writing for Milwaukee Moms.
Read more booksI finished The Goldfinch, Vox, and Before We Were Yours
So, I guess that wasn’t so terrible, but I’ve been feeling really down about certain things lately. I’ve gained some weight back, I haven’t felt as productive at home, and I just don’t have the motivation to make the necessary changes.
Also, the boys have been fighting a lot and having too much screen time. Plus, the house is a mess, and I can never figure out what to make for dinner.
I guess I just feel like I’m failing at my job as a mom and wife.
However, I know I will snap out of it and get back on track.
Even though we didn’t do all the things and I may have had personal setbacks, there are always good things and things to be grateful for.
The Good Things
- Both boys have done great with their glasses.
- Awesome teacher conferences! Good behavior (at school!) and on track with reading and math.
- No tears at school!
- No surgery (for at least a year!) for Mr. P. His spine does not appear to be tethered, no urinary problems, and no other symptoms.
- Lots of missing teeth! 4 for Mr. C and 3 for Mr. P.
- Fall soccer season complete!
The boys are definitely growing up and testing boundaries. Even though they fight a lot, they still do not want to be separated. They like being in the same class, and even sleep in the same bed (they have bunk beds, but both want to sleep on the bottom together!)
The biggest surprise to me is how much their interests have changed. They used to play trains and cars constantly. Now, it’s playing outside, building things, drawing, and imaginary play. They also love playing on their tablets. Roblox and Hello Neighbor are favorites.
Some things have not changed, though. Mr. P is still attached to “Buddy Baby” his stuffed animal. His favorite color is still pink, and Mr. C still loves red.
Mr. B is still all about Minecraft, Legos, and imaginary play. He, however, turned the corner with reading, and will even do it without being asked. Plus, Mr. B:
- Did a great job with his first Clarinet concert! He even practices without me bugging him.
- Works hard as a Scout…now a Webelo
- Is taking a coding class after school.
- Starts basketball this week.
- Did a great job finishing up soccer this fall. His defense is really improving.
Mr. B also ran a 5K!!!! He ran the whole time and wants to do another one. I think he’s following in Grandpa’s footsteps and will be a track star.
Mr. B loves Star Wars, the Marvel Universe (and made me a fan too!) and history. He’s been building the Architecture sets with Legos, and even crafted his own Statue of Liberty. He’s always thinking, designing, and planning his takeover of the World.
Not Failing Completely
So, when I look at all their accomplishments like that, I guess I do feel a little better about my job as a mom. That doesn’t mean I don’t have a lot of work to do.
Including on this blog!
So, I hope you’ll stick with me as I continue to push through and figure things out.
Tell me some of your good below and let’s motivate each other.
Joanne Cunningham says
I always love reading about your family and what’s going on! Don’t focus on the stuff you haven’t done, just think about the gains the boys are making and the exciting new phases they are entering. There’s no such thing as a perfect parent, just a good enough one who does the best that circumstances allow.
As for me, my big accomplishment recently is being the hero who figured out why our basement kept flooding (even when my husband and the basement repair guy couldn’t figure it out) and thereby averted many, MANY thousands in massive repair bills that wouldn’t have done a thing to stop the actual problem!
Wow! That’s awesome! Basement flooding is the worst.
Thank you so much for all of your advice and support. I’m very thankful for your friendship!
Okay so lI looked are your list and all the things you were able to cross off and literally thought “damn, she did a lot!” But I know that (like me) we tend to be our own worst critics. Just know that on the surface and to the rest of the world you are kicking ass 😊 PS: you look adorable in Wonder Woman costume!!
That’s a lot of teeth your kids have lost! And sounds like you did a lot of fun fall activities with everyone. Oy, the blogging is getting super tough for me lately too. We do what we can! ❤️