This year has been a doozy. It has been a year of change, a year of new activities, and a year of hard work, both at home and on the blog. With that, I couldn’t end the year without a 2017 review of both.
Let’s start the 2017 review with the blog!
2017 Review of Shann Eva’s Blog
I’ve been writing and blogging since the twins were in the NICU, and I’ve gone through a lot of changes and growth. There’s definitely been a lot of change here this year. I made my site more secure, and started working with a hosting company that is amazing. I’ve also done some awesome collaborations, and even made some income. However, I am happy that I have not forgotten the reason I started writing.
Some of my most popular posts this year were about being a NICU mom, and the challenges of a twin pregnancy.
Stories of hope also topped the list. I am still so proud and humbled that I get to share amazing miracles each Monday. Nellie’s story, Kaeyln and Dani’s story, Elise’s story, and 23 weekers Cole and Jaxon’s stories were read and shared the most.
I hope to keep sharing and spreading awareness. Feel free to submit your story HERE or share any of the stories with someone who made need hope.
In addition to inspiring and comforting other families, I’ve gained motivation from the blog, as well.
Monthly goals were set, and I am happy with the amount that were accomplished. I’ve also kept my healthy eating and exercise plan going, even though I haven’t written much about it lately. That will definitely change in the new year!
Overall, I’m happy with the progress I’ve made with the blog, but I want to continue to grow in the new year.
Now, let’s talk about life.
2017 Review: Home/Life/Family
From preschool problems to school decisions, the twins went through a lot of changes. While their behavior has been challenging a LOT of the time, they have been pretty fantastic in kindergarten. They have grown so much, both physically and mentally.
Big C has not had much of his separation anxiety, is very sweet and helpful at school, and likes to do things by himself.
Little P is actually talking in school this year, in comparison to just smiling and whispering in preschool. He is also popular with the ladies, kissing a second grade girl on the bus.
Now, we only allow high fives or fist bumps.
He still gets frustrated, and doesn’t like to ask for help, but we continue to work on it.
They both love to read, color, and play with whatever cool new toys big brother has. Their speech has improved immensely, they can both write their names, and they are even learning to do math.
It’s hard to believe they are closer to 6 than 5, and almost done with their first school year.
Here’s a 2017 review of their Favorites:
- Anything from the movie Cars, such as vehicles, stuffed animals, etc. Mostly just Lightning McQueen (the red guy, for those without Cars obsessed kids)
- Carrying things in backpacks, buckets, or suitcases. Got to keep track of all their stuff. Candy, toys, sticks, rocks…all important stuff.
- Transformers: Toys, masks, and the show. Ideally, playing with toys, wearing masks, while the show is on in the background.
- Leggings, tight jeans (only Big C, he has a thing with his legs,) and cozy things. This includes fleece shirts and pajamas.
- The color Red (Big C) and the color Pink (Little P)
- Monkeys. This is Little P. He now drags a stuffed one around, but wants the real thing. Never going to happen.
While some things have changed, some are the same. Big C is still about 6 lbs heavier and at least a couple of inches taller. Little P actually made the regular growth chart this year, so I’ll take it.
Mr. B is such a great kid. He is finally getting a hang of reading, he still creates beautiful artwork, and LOVES to build Legos. He’s really doing great in Second Grade. Plus, he’s finally lost 2 teeth!!!
He’s gaining more coordination, and loves to play soccer during recess. Mr. B ran his first race this year…the IRun Kids Marathon. He did amazing, and ran an entire mile. He’s also joined the Cub Scouts, got a library card, attempted roller skating, and is learning to swim.
While he thinks he knows everything, he still loves to cuddle and snuggle with me. He’s never embarrassed to give me a hug or kiss, and still fights to hold my hand.
He still drives me crazy about his lack of eating his lunch at school, and is still one of the slowest kids I know. Hence, the eating problems.
Mr. B’s 2017 Review of Favorites:
- Anything Star Wars. Especially, building and playing with Legos, flying ships around the living room, and commanding his brothers.
- His new lofted bed. With his bed off the ground, he now has more room to build on the floor. You can’t walk in there without stepping on a Lego.
- Minecraft. Although, not as popular as it once was.
- The Flash, Arrow, and anything Super Hero.
- Camping with Dad. Both indoor and outdoor. In the bus and in a tent.
Shandy (Shann + Andy)
I thought I would combine me and my husband, since this post is getting a little long, and I’m getting a bit tired.
While I’ve maintained my weight, and feel strong at the gym, I’m still working on getting good sleep, upping my iron, and controlling my acid reflux. I also am working through my neck and back pain with a physical therapist.
Did I mention that I got new glasses, had a mammogram, and was super excited that my mouth guard was partially covered by our insurance? Ah, the joys of getting old(er).
We changed gyms, I work more hours teaching dance classes, and volunteer in all three boys’ classes. Keeping busy, working out, and dancing keeps me sane.
Speaking of busy, my husband has had one of the busiest years in his real estate career. He works very hard, goes above and beyond for every client, and always gets the deal done. Even though we miss him, we are all very proud of his accomplishments.
In his spare time, he replaced both of our toilets, completely redid our spare bathroom, and got all of our windows replaced.
While I think we both thrive when we are busy, I hope we have more time to relax and enjoy things this year.
2017 Review of Our (Ok. Mostly me.) Favorites:
- Those couple of hours after all three boys are finally asleep. You never realize how much you miss silence.
- Stranger Things Season 2 and Ozark together. The Crown Season 2, The Marvelous Mrs. Maizel, You’re The Worst,The Handmaid’s Tale, Great News, Younger, The Mick, Shut Eye, Younger, Shameless, and the entire series of the Vampire Diaries. Yes. I watch a LOT of TV. The Walking Dead for Andy.
- White wine (who would have thought we’d both switch from red?) and Prosecco
- Bananas. We both eat them every morning. I wish we could grow a banana tree.
- Reading. I mostly read just the books from my book club, which is also a favorite of mine, but they were all pretty great. The One that Got Away, Behind her eyes, The Rosie Project, Love Warrior, Underground Airline, The Tumbling Turner Sisters. When I asked my husband, he said, “I like to read, but I didn’t have time.” See that sentence above about relaxing and enjoying.
- Fabletics. I seriously LOVE their workout pants. Super comfy, flattering, and reasonably priced with all the great sales they have. My husband hates shopping, so any clothes I buy him are favorites…at least I hope.
So, that’s a wrap. Another year whizzed by at lightning speed. I’ll leave you with a collage of our annual Christmas morning picture.
Cheers to 2018! May it be the best one yet!
Lindsay @ The Flynnigans says
You have so much to be grateful and blessed. It was a full year with plenty of ups and downs but you persevered. May you have a wonderful and better 2018 than 2017 was to you. 🙂 xox!
Shann Eva says
Thank you Lindsay! <3 And same to you!